Sunday, September 12, 2021

I Want To Be Dr. Seuss When I Grow Up

I would love to find a list of the most difficult and most often used words for teaching English as a Second Language. Not finding a definitive compendium online, I started my own which as of this date has 800 words.  Of course many are similar, for example different forms of a verb. These come from various ESL teachers' lists via online articles or videos.  Although I've been teaching adults, I also added  additional words from "Cat in the Hat" and the rest of the vocabulary in the national 1st grade vocabulary list.  

Since I mainly use my word list to enhance my color-vowel poems and chants, it is online sorted by Color Vowel® plus schwa.  (Once the Google Sheet file is downloaded or copied into Excel, of course it can be re-sorted alphabetically.)

Here's the link: Most Difficult and Most Often Used

I also have a growing list of most important business terms; however, that one is such a mess I'm not publishing it, yet.

I try to incorporate as many as possible of these important words into my All Around My Mouth poems.

Of course it's no surprise that the poems tend to also have words that rhyme with the ones on the list  If you are interested in rhymes, here's a link to words that rhyme with the color vowels. This is the link to the Color Vowel Chant.  I kept all the worksheet's rhyming words just for future reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment